A biometric gun safe is one that does not require combinations, keys, or passcodes as traditional safes do. This type of safe relies only on palm or fingerprint impression to provide access. The biometric system takes the fingerprint or palm impression and codes a digital signature which is based on your fingerprint to be able to remember it in the future. Every time you press your finger on the syncing pad or sensors, your fingerprint is coded in a digital form. This print is then compared with the previous fingerprints inputted in the system. A match will open the safe while a mismatch will trigger an alarm and lock the safe until the correct fingerprint is pressed down on it.
Why do you need a Biometric Gun safe?
A gun safe keeps your gun away from untrained people like children. It becomes necessary to keep a firearm to protect yourself. but this firearm should only be used by people who have been trained to use them to prevent accidents at home. Children and other vulnerable people like those with cognitive problems or mental illnesses should not have easy access to the firearm. A gun safe helps ensure that they can never reach it.
You may also need a gun safe in the case of an inferno. A large bulk of the gun safes on the market are fireproof. This means that the gun safe can protect your gun and other items placed in the safe. It acts as a barrier between the house fire’s heat if there is a breakout. Normal safes may not be fireproof so this is why you specifically need to get a gun safe to protect your gun in case there is a fire.
Another solid reason to get a gun safe is the fact that it can be used to store other valuables. Since it is fireproof and secure, it can help you to keep valuable items like jewelery and cash safe.
To know more about advantages of keeping a gun safe at home, click here.
Biometric Gun Safe Product reviews 2020
1. SentrySafe QAP2BEL Gun Safe with Biometric Lock, 2 Capacity & Interior Light
This gun safe comes with a biometric fingerprint lock. Aside from this feature, it has backup entry functions like an override key and a combination pin. This makes it possible to give access to a family member if there is a need to open it in your absence. It is built with solid steel construction and has a blue LED light inside the chamber to give it some visibility in darkness.
Also, SentrySafe QAP2BEL has a compression gas strut that allows you to open the door quickly and quietly. It is also designed to allow one-hand operation which can come in handy during emergencies. The safe is large enough to contain two standard handguns. However, if you have a large pistol, there may only be a small room left for other items. It has a dimension of 9.8 x 16.4 x 3.2 inches. Inside the safe, the dimensions are 6.5-inches diagonal, 6.5-inches diagonal, and 2.2-inches high.
Though it is smaller than the average gun safe, it is an advantage because it is slender and weighs only 16 pounds. The compact safe can be set on side tables and even cupboards. It is also available in a variety of sizes and is certified gun safe. The safe requires batteries and comes with a one-year warranty. This warranty is limited so be sure to check what is covered under it.
- Well-lit inner chamber for use at night. This makes it easier to find the contents at night or in the dark.
- Sleek and slender build give it portability points
- Comes with gas strut for quick closing and opening of the safe door
- Override key for authorized third-party access who have not registered their fingerprints.
- The strut may need replacement after continued use
- The SentrySafe QAP2BEL Gun Safe is portable and lightweight. The sleek design makes it blend well with other items in the home. It also packs amazing features while being very affordable. The override key and gas strut make it stand out as well.
2. Viking Security Safe VS-20BLX Mini Biometric Safe Fingerprint Safe
This safe allows you to register 32 fingerprints with a PIN code. It also has a LED light in the inner compartment. It is large enough so you can organize your items inside with its removable shelf. It is built with two 20mm steel locking bars inserted into the slots in the safe’s frame. These locking bars can be placed wherever you prefer.
The Viking Security Safe VS-20BLX is highly secure as it comes with a non-volatile memory. Its dimensions are 8” x 12” x 8.” It also has an upgraded DPI optical sensor, 5mm door, motorized 20mm deadbolt lock, and 2 pry-resistant slots. There is also a four-prong backup cross key to make it easily accessible.
The interior is carpeted to give it a neat and sleek look. It is sizable and can contain handguns, cash, jewelry, electronics, and other important documents. Its body is solid and tightly sealed so any attempt to open it without authorization will trigger an alarm. The sound can also be turned off if you prefer and it has a warning beep in case you leave the door unlocked.
Aside from being a gun safe, it can also serve as an office safe, or bedroom safe. It is also more affordable than the first safe on the list. However, it doesn’t come with a warranty.
- Safe is larger than the usual gun safes and this makes it a roomy option.
- More affordable than many on the list despite being a larger model.
- Registers up to 32 fingerprints at a time and differentiates all with ease
- Alternative entry for emergencies for people who have not entered their fingerprints into the biometric system.
- Lacks warranty coverage and this may discourage some people.
- The Viking Security Safe VS-20BLX is an affordable gun safe with sophisticated features such as optical sensors. It is quite roomy as well so you can also use it to store other valuables. It also has a large allowance for fingerprints so it is excellent for multiple access while being roomy.
3. GunVault SV500 – SpeedVault Handgun Safe
This gun safe is unique. It is mountable and has an audio and LED low battery warning as well as an interior light. Its mounting tools come with the safe so it is easy to set up. The protective foam liner and tamper indicator also make it stand out. The SV 500 has a security sleep mode that is triggered after a number of incorrect entries. The keypad does not accept new entries for two minutes. When the battery is low, it displays seven red flashes and can be audible too after touching the keypad.
It is a combination code locking mechanism type vault. The set up is easy with the option of choosing a four-unit entry code. It has a different look from others in the lineup. The SV 500 also comes with a set of backup keys and plastic strips that work as a corrosion protectant. It is usually inserted in the foam liner and acts like silica packets. It is tamper-proof as well. To find out if it has been tampered with, hold 2 and 3 buttons for a few seconds. If it was indeed tampered with, the red light will come on until the buttons are released. The light is usually green if it has not been tampered with.
- It is quite easy to install
- It is secure with a tamper indicator in case an incorrect entry is made
- The frame is corrosion resistant so it will not rust
- Offers quick access to the gun
- Offers internal LED for night visibility so you can quickly access it in the dark.
- 5-year warranty
- Can only contain 9mm handguns
- The SV 500 is a 1-gun capacity safe but it boasts several enviable features. Some may have extra compartments to keep your magazine. It is secure with a feature that removes moisture to prevent corrosion. Overall, it is a good buy if you need a reliable gun safe with easy access.
4. GunVault Minivault Biometric Biometric Pistol Safe GVB1000
This gun safe has a biometric fingerprint reader that can store 15 fingerprints. It is also quite accurate with a few fails. The false reject rate is very low because of the advanced algorithm used for the fingerprint recognition technology. Also, it updates continually every time the user opens the safe.
The GVB1000 comes with keys that override the combination lock. This can come in handy if the batteries run out or the combination lock does not work. If the user forgets the lock, it can also be used to override the system.
The safe’s wall is made from rugged 16-gauge steel. This makes it a tough protective shell that is pry-resistant when the door closes properly. Inside the safe, there is a soft protective lining of foam that prevents damage to your valuables and guns from hard walls. The GVB1000 also has a tough tamper-proof and spring-loaded door that opens easily.
The interior light also makes it stand out. It illuminates the inner compartment for 5 seconds when the safe is opened. It uses 9-volt batteries that power the combination system. If the battery starts to run out, the vault sends out a warning by emitting several beeps whenever the safe is opened. You may need to change the battery after a few years because it wears out like many other appliances.
- Fingerprints are easily programmed and it has keys to override the combination lock
- Setup is easy and can take around 5 minutes.
- The construction is solid as it is made with 16-gauge steel. It is also pry-resistant
- The effective biometric scanner takes up to 15 entries
- Comes with warranty
- It is not fire or waterproof so it can be damaged under such circumstances.
The GunVault MiniVault GVB1000 is among the best biometric gun safes available on the market presently. The safe may appear small but it can contain 2 handguns at a time. The design is a bit different from others on the list with an effective fingerprint scanner. Many users don’t complain much about it.
5. Liberty HDX-250 Vault Biometric Safe
The HDX-250 is the 5th generation product from Liberty. The door opens by swiping and it cannot be simply lifted and carted away. It comes with some mounting holes at the bottom so it is firmly fixed into the ground as a second layer of protection.
This biometric gun safe can store 15 different fingerprints at once. It also comes with two options if you choose to use the biometric. You can use the portable 9-volt option or go for AC power to run it. The door works automatically by swiping and it opens. Its interior is lined with foam so the gun or other items will not be defaced. The vault is also well illuminated so you can always see what is inside at any time of the day.
The fact that it is made from 14-gauge steel makes it highly durable. This means that extreme force cannot damage it. It is completely tamper-resistant with a reinforced latch in case there is a break-in attempt. The safe has anti-pry tabs that resist pry attempts. If you have a firearm for emergencies, this may come in handy.
The safe is well padded with foam and molded to fit many handguns. It also comes with an AC adaptor in case the owner chooses to power it with electricity. The manufacturer offers a 5-year warranty.
- Larger capacity for more valuables and guns so you can organize your cash and firearms in it.
- Solid 14-gauge steel door that is pry-resistant
- Simple swipe to open function to ease access
- 5-year warranty
- The scanner may be slow at the first attempt but it picks up after that
- The Liberty HDX-250 Smart Vault Biometric Safe offers a much larger capacity than many on this list so if you need a safe for your guns and other valuable items, it may be a good buy. It doesn’t fall short when it comes to sturdiness and build. The technology works smoothly as well.
6. TIGERKING Security Safe Box, Biometric Fingerprint
The Tigerking biometric fingerprint E25FED safe comes with top-notch biometric technology. It can be accessed by fingerprint, key, or passcode. The safe has a collapsible shelf that makes it easier for users to store taller items easily.
It is made with a tempered steel casing with double thickness. The fingerprint safe is made from reinforced, durable double thickness steel casing. It weighs around 24.2 pounds. It also has a tamper-resistant hinge design and 2 active locking pins that provide more security. These features can resist break-in no matter how determined the intruder is.
Also, it contains locking pins for extra security. Another excellent feature it has is that it can be mounted anywhere safe. The back is designed with four pre-drilled holes placed on the bottom and back.
- Excellent for individuals with many valuables so you can store your gun and jewelry in one place.
- Creative interior design and padding to prevent damage to the gun.
- Comes with mounting tools and pre-drilled holes.
- Tamper alarm when an entry is unauthorized
- Digital and manual locking in case the battery dies
- Unique heavy-duty construction to prevent break-ins.
- Access isn’t silent
- Tigerking Security Home Safe is a decent gun safe because it offers three layers of protection in case you are locked out of your vault or your battery dies. When it comes to pricing, this model does not disappoint as well. It is one of the cheapest and affordable biometric gun safes, especially considering all it offers.
7. Viking Security Safe VS-50BLX Large Biometric Safe Fingerprint Safe
The gun safe is known for its stubby appearance, but it does not take anything away from the performance. It is secure and also has a 500-DPI optical biometric sensor that ensures that the fingerprints are read on time. Another notable feature is the keypad. The fingerprint sensor isn’t the only way to gain access to the box. The keypad allows you to give others access in case there is an emergency.
It has two 20mm deadbolts used to lock the three adjustable shelves. The safe can contain handguns, ammunition as well as other valuable items. It has an LED light to illuminate it at night so you can grab your gun with ease if an intruder comes in. The safe’s LCD screen displays crucial information such as battery status so you can know when to charge or to enter a pin when the option of fingerprinting is not available to the person seeking access.
This biometric gun safe also has two pry-resistant insertion slots to keep intruding hands from taking your stuff. It has an audible alarm that is triggered when the door is left unlocked. It is a good feature but in some cases, it could alert the intruder and inform him of the safe. It has a mute function for this if you prefer it silent.
- Comes with top features like an LCD screen for display of battery status and multiple entry methods such as fingerprint and keypad entry.
- Pry resistant design. The safe has anti-pry slots to keep intruders from opening the safe.
- Secure safe. It has 20mm deadbolts protecting the anti-pry slots
- Carpeted interior to keep items unscathed
- The audible alarm is triggered when the safe is unlocked. It can attract unwanted attention
- The Viking Security Safe VS-50BLX is one of the best biometric gun safes on the market because of its stylish, yet modern look. It is larger than regular gun safes and sports a 500-DPI optical biometric sensor. This makes the fingerprint recognition seamless. It also offers alternative means to access the safe aside from fingerprints.
8. Viking Security Safe VS-25BL Biometric Safe Fingerprint Safe
The VS-25BL model from Viking Security is sturdy and secure. The biometric safe has a keypad pin for alternative access. It also comes with an updated 500 DPI optical sensor. Other notable features include a 5 mm door, motorized 20mm deadbolts lock, and 2mm body. The exterior part is rugged with a solid steel body. It was designed to be pry-resistant and has a seamless laser cut.
The biometric scanner can handle up to 32 fingerprints at a time so it allows multiple access. The interior is well cushioned to keep the items inside unscathed and it is well lit as well for use in dark places. It has an adjustable shelf that allows you to organize your items inside. The space is large enough to contain more than one handgun as well as other smaller valuables. So you can store your jewelry without worrying about tarnish from rough surfaces.
It is secure and has some standard security features such as an open-door warning. If the safe is left unlocked, it triggers an alarm to notify the user. It also has a 4-prong backup cross key. The safe weighs around 27 pounds and is built from one-piece steel. However, its warranty period is for one year only.
- Offers multiple access methods such as biometric and pin security. This way users can always gain access even in their absence
- Well lit interior so you can easily find what you are looking for in an emergency
- Foam-lined interior to prevent damage to items stored in the safe.
- Shelf to help organize the content of the safe
- Affordable design and easy setup
- Affordable despite features and size
- Fingerprint doesn’t work for older people
- Viking Security Safe VS-25BL Biometric Safe Fingerprint Safe is a rugged design with many excellent features. The biometric 500 DPI optical sensor gives it an edge over others on the list. It also has an alternative entry for emergencies. The interior also has a foam lining to keep your items untarnished.
9. BARSKA AX12476 Quick Access Keypad Biometric Fingerprint Security Safe Box 0.46 Cubic Ft9
This gun safe offers both biometric and keypad entry. It is safe and convenient for protecting valuable items. Users can store up to 30 different fingerprints at the same time on the biometric lock. This makes it ideal for multiple users. Where a user’s fingerprint is not in the system, the keypad comes in handy. It is a numeric keypad and stores a PIN code. If the batteries run out, it has back up keys to enable access.
The fingerprint image sensors create a bio algorithm with an optical sensor. This encrypted image is then stored in memory and it is remembered automatically. The biometric sensor is built with an algorithm mapping technology that makes it easy for it to read your fingerprint. Barska biometric safe offers an extra safety feature, the motorized deadbolt. It comes with 2 motorized deadbolts made with solid steel. These bolts secure the system to prevent tampering.
Barska’s HQ100 biometric safe has a steel construction as well as 2 solid steel bolts that prevent breaking in. When the door is locked, it stays locked. The edges are tamper-resistant as well. The exterior is rugged with a sandpapered feel. The best part about this safe is portability. You can choose to place it on a table or mount it on a wall. The mounting hardware is included in the package and it is easy to set up. It comes with predrilled holes to make it easier to mount.
- The optical sensor makes fingerprint recognition more reliable
- The motorized deadbolt provides extra security for the gun safe
- Safe can be mounted or placed on the floor or table
- Great for multiple users as it recognizes up to 30 fingerprints at a time.
- Comes at an affordable price
- The biometric scanner does not work well when the fingers are wet
- The BARSKA AX12476 biometric gun safe is known for its spacious and stylish interior. The steel construction and optical sensor are enviable. The motorized deadbolt also prevents tampering from third parties. From the rugged exterior to carpeted interior, this gun safe stands out among others. It is a good product for the price.
10. Barska Biometric Fingerprint Security Wall Safe 0.52 Cubic Ft
This biometric wall safe from Barska is approved by the Department of Justice. The safe comes with a 120-fingerprint setting. This means that users can input up to 120 fingerprints at the same time and the device can differentiate one from another. It is a left opening door safe with a technologically advanced biometric system. It has an optical scanner that is responsible for scanning the fingerprints and comparing it to others stored in the device memory. The process of setting up is easy as well.
The interior has two removable shelves that allow you to organize the items in the safe. If you do not want the shelves, they can be removed also. The body of the safe is constructed with 2 built-in pry-resistant steel deadbolts and durable steel. It makes it difficult to be penetrated even with extreme force. It is a wall safe, so this means that it cannot be set on the table or floor. It has pre-drilled holes as well with mounting hardware. This way you can safely mount it in a concealed spot in your home.
As mentioned earlier, it is a left opening safe. This means that it cannot be set in some spaces. Aside from this, it is pretty versatile safe. It comes with batteries as well.
- It comes with the required mounting hardware so you won’t need to buy any extra part to set it up.
- Biometric operation is easy because of the extra backup keys alongside four AA batteries.
- Easy to install and takes around 5 minutes.
- The fingerprint unlocking system is very handy and seamless.
- The door opens right and cannot be adjusted so it won’t fit into all spaces.
- The Barska Biometric Fingerprint Security Wall Safe is the only biometric wall safe on the list. It is also the only one that allows users to input up to 120 fingerprints at a time. The safe is also built with solid steel to prevent unauthorized access. It is also quite affordable.
Advantages of a Biometric gun safe over a manual safe
Manual safes were trendy for so many decades until the advent of biometric safes. Biometric safes allow you to gain access by simply using fingerprints. It saves you the trouble of having to memorize combinations. There are a lot of advantages of a biometric gun safe over a manual safe.
The main reason why people use biometric safes is to keep guns from unauthorized people like children or untrained people. whether it is your children, burglars, or neighbors, a gun safe comes in handy. In some countries, a gun safe is compulsory to avoid accidents when it is in the wrong hands. Manual gun safes use key locks and keypad locks in some cases to keep guns safe. However, such safe can take a longer time to open since they require combinations. If you have an emergency and you need to gain access to the gun, it may be difficult and time-consuming. In some cases, you may need the key and this part is rarely close by. With biometric safes, you only need a fingerprint and you’re good to go.
Manual safes do not offer multiple access. If your family members do not have the key or know where it is, they cannot access it in an emergency. However, a biometric gun safe can register as much as 120 fingerprints, depending on the model. This way, you can choose who has easy access to the safe. Many of these biometric safes have other options for access such as a key or combination lock to give you an option to provide more access.
With a biometric gun safe, you do not have to worry about inserting the wrong code or having keys. Simply scan your finger and it will recognize your hand and give you access. The technology recognizes each fingerprint and opens it when it has been successfully scanned. It recognizes different fingerprints and you can decide to give trusted people access to the fingerprint or key.
Also, biometric safes are more portable. You can travel with them and some can be hidden under the car seat. They also have LED lights inside to illuminate the safe in darkness. Manual safes barely have special features like foam padded interior nor are they corrosion and fireproof. Not all biometric safes have these features, but the best of them do.
Lots of people believe that biometric safes are far more expensive than their manual counterparts. The reason for this is the biometric safes are still being improved and developed. They are also a lot safer than manual safes and this justifies the cost because they offer advanced protection. For instance, manual safes can lock the user out. With a biometric gun safe, users do not get locked out as most of them have alert systems when the safe door is left unlocked.
Some burglars can hack and crack safe combinations with ease. Keys to the safe can also be lost and anyone that finds it automatically gains access to the safe. With biometric safes, you have the chance to choose who you want to give access to. Only people with scanned fingerprints can open them and this will help ensure that your items are safe.
To learn more about advantages of a biometric safe see this article.
To learn more about the pros and cons of manual versus biometric safes, read this article.
What features should you consider while buying a biometric gun safe?
When you want to get a gun safe, there are some important features to look out for. Some of them include the security level, size of safe, type of steel gauge, type of lock among others. There may be a need to consider the type of firearms you intend to store as well as how quickly you want to gain access to them. While you consider your options when it comes to biometric safes, you also need to think about your present gun collection and other guns you may buy in the future.
Before choosing a biometric gun safe, you need to ensure that you are getting the best suited for your needs. So, this is why you need to know the top features to look out for in your biometric safe. here are some things to take note of before taking the leap:
1) Different types of Biometric gun safes
There are several types of biometric safes on the market. Each type is suited to a particular type of gun. There are safes for pistols, long guns, and the ones that are considered a hybrid because they can contain both types. Before choosing, you should consider the types of guns you have and check their sizes.
2) Safe size
The size is as important as the type because not all come in the same size. It will be a waste to buy a gun safe that does not fit your guns. If you intend to store a handgun with some ammunition, a small-sized handgun safe will come in handy. If you have more than one handgun, then you need to search for a larger safe that can contain more guns.
3) User friendly and convenient
Biometric safes save you the trouble of adding combinations or storing keys. It should be easy to set up and not take hours. Some biometric gun safes accept up to 100 fingerprints and yet, they do not take time to set up. However, some products on the market are more complex with several features and they can be difficult to understand. For instance, Bluetooth functionality in biometric gun safes may take more time to set up than others without the function. In such cases, remember that simplicity is key.
4) Easy accessibility
In the middle of the night, if you need to access your safe, will you be able to see it? Do you need to use a torchlight? A good biometric safe should have a built-in LED light to help with visibility. Some go the extra mile to have a light-up keypad for the alternative lock as well as LED light inside. With this light, you can see the contents clearly in dark places.
5) Power source, lock, and access
There are several kinds of locking mechanisms from electronic, to biometric and dial lock. The biometric fingerprint scanner provides quick access to firearms. Some products have a more technologically advanced sensor that reduces the failure rate drastically. So you need to check this feature before buying it. The power source is also important. biometric gun safes usually come with batteries and some use an electric power source. In some cases, the battery strength varies so be sure to check for the best one on the market.
6) Battery type
Biometric gun safes usually run on battery or electricity. Some use AA batteries and these batteries cannot be recharged. When they run out, you will have to replace the battery. This is why you need to understand how the batteries work to know the best for your needs. Safes with rechargeable batteries are a better option because they rarely require battery change so they save you money. The only downside is that they are more expensive than regular AA battery-powered safes. However, they save you money in the long run because you will not have to replace batteries.
The most important feature to check while buying a biometric gun safe is security. You want to ensure that your gun and other items are safe. always check the steel gauge level. When this number is higher it means it is more secure and may be impenetrable by intruders.
This article gives more details on what to look for in a biometric gun safe.
Also read this article to understand how to minimize liability risk with biometric technology.
When it comes to buying a biometric gun safe, you cannot afford to settle or compromise. The safe keeps your firearm away from prying eyes and also handy enough for emergencies. You need one that offers security, convenience, and durability. From the list above, you can choose the best one for your unique needs. However, the SentrySafe QAP2BEL stands out. Its compression gas strut makes it the fastest accessible safe on the list. It may not be as large as some others on the list, but it makes up for that with a sleek design and solid build. Portability is also a strong point.