Guns are not toys, so you need to be responsible for them if you’re an owner. Many states have strict laws regarding weapon carry. In such states, you cannot carry a gun in your car unless it’s safe. This is why you need a safe to keep your firearm.
The chosen safe needs to keep it locked away and give you sole access to the gun. But you don’t need just any safe. The best option for you is a car gun safe. This type of safe is made specifically for cars and they can be attached to the car. It is an important component for gun owners especially if they have small children. Kids are mischievous and curious and could find the firearm without a good car gun safe to lock it away.
This article will highlight the best car gun safes on the market as well as some factors to consider before buying them.
1)Vaultek Quick Access Handgun Safe with Auto Open
This device from Vaultek is ideal for people that want a compact and secure gun safe for cars. It boasts of excellent features that make it stand out. The VE10 is well-lit for easy viewing. It has an LED light inside so you can see the content of the safe even in the dark. It also sports a proximity sensor that lights up the keypad to improve visibility in dark places.
This safe has keypad shortcuts like computers and they are used to update battery status and turn off audio or put it on among other things. The time out mode blocks anyone from trying to guess your security code. The device enters sleep mode whenever anyone makes attempts at the code.
Another notable feature is the responsive keypad that allows users to enter their passcode quickly. It also has an auto open lid that promotes convenience and security. When it comes to weight and portability, the device stands out as well. It is light and compact enough to sit comfortably in your bag during travel.
The VE10 is built from 18 gauge steel and this connotes greater durability. The safe can not be penetrated easily with the level of protection it has. The anti-pry bars and unibody construction help reinforce the safe to make it impregnable.
- Comes with a micro USB charge that charges fast so you won’t be stranded.
- Made with a steel security cable to keep it secure
- Comes with manual keys for access
- The slim design makes it more portable than many others on the market
- Has a variety of colors to choose from
- It has a small space and lacks smart technology features
- This gun safe for cars is a hassle-free safe. It lacks many fancy features but is still able to offer security and convenience to users. When it comes to pricing, it is also quite affordable.
2) Hornady RAPiD Gun Safe With RFID
The gun safe works with four AAA batteries. It also uses a car adapter with 12V to connect to a power source. It is built with 14-gauge steel of high quality. it can withstand blunt force and has premium foam padding inside the safe. This padding ensures that your gun or belongings are not dented or scratched. It can keep your items even in your absence.
It comes with RFID wristbands as well. This makes it easier to open the safe without touching it. The technology also allows you to add five RFID tags, meaning that you can assign it to five different people. It comes with a sticker and key fob as well to make it easier to open the lid.
The safe has a keypad that serves as an alternate form of entry. It also has a 1500-pound rated cable that helps fasten it into place. There is also an option of bolting the unit down. Luckily, it has pre-drilled holes to ease mounting.
- Offers multiple access as up to 5 users can be registered on the RFID wristbands
- Additional keypad access
- Made with solid 14-gauge steel that prevents breach
- Easy to install and convenient too
- The lock quality needs some improvement.
- Hornady RAPiD Gun Safe With RFID is a reasonably priced device with a myriad of features. one outstanding feature is the RFID technology that allows you to open the safe without having to touch it. The installation process is seamless and quick as well.
3) Tuffy 250-01 Under Seat Security Drawer
Tuffy products are known for their 16-gauge welded construction and this product does not fall short. The safe box is weighty but not too heavy. This is an advantage because the weight of a safe aids in security and rigidity. Also, it has 1/8 welded steel at every latch connection to keep the lid tight and your items safe.
It has split lids with over 3,500 cubic inches of storage beneath. It fits perfectly beneath the rear seat and comes with additional split lids to help it blend in properly. It can also be set up below the front seat. The split also makes it easier to lift the rear cushion to gain access to your gun or valuables. Another excellent feature in this Tuffy safe is the coated textured finish. It hides grime or fingerprints while also providing excellent protection. It has enough space for a Glock 19 and a magazine.
- Installation is a breeze with this device as it takes as little as ten minutes
- Solid build that keeps intruders out of your property
- Spacious as it can contain larger pistols
- Installation is discreet so it may go unnoticed by others
- Quite expensive and only work with some vehicles with special modifications
The Tuffy 250-01 Under Seat Security Drawer is an impressive product with an easy installation process. It usually takes under 10 minutes. It fits under the car seat and has a split top design. It also has a sturdy construction as it is made with 16-gauge steel. It stands out among others on the market
4) Fort Knox FTK-PB Pistol Box Handgun Safe
The FTK-PB pistol box safe uses a simplex combination lock and may be ideal for people who prefer the system. This type of lock does not require batteries or electricity like biometric safes. You won’t have to worry about batteries running out in an emergency. You also do not need to worry about losing a key.
The build of the safe is solid with a rugged 10-gauge body. The wrap-around door is massive at 3/16 inches. The thick steel construction makes it weigh around 22 pounds. It is rugged and not too heavy. The box is also resistant to brute force.
One notable feature it offers is space. The safe measures 12.5 x 10.2 x 4.5 inches and has two separate layers of foam in the interior. The foam can be removed if you need extra space for other items. It can contain one or two pistols and magazines. Other items like keys, passports, documents, and cash can also fit in.
The padding helps keep the gun unscathed and the gas strut assists in opening the safe door quickly. This feature also makes one-handed operation easy which is important during emergencies. Also, it supports the lid until it is time to close it again. The safe is anchorable so it cannot be easily stolen. It has pre-drilled ports for mounting. The safe also has ports to mount it sideways if you prefer.
- The safe is anchorable and comes with pre-drilled ports for easy installation
- The price is also quite affordable for the features it offers
- Gas strut eases opening the door and closing it
- It has space for 1 – 2 pistols depending on the size
- Solid build with 10-gauge steel construction
- Reliable lock mechanism
- Heavier than average safes but this is largely attributed to the steel frame for protection
- The Fort Knox FTK-PB Pistol Box Handgun Safe has a 1-gauge steel body that competes with standard gun safes in the market. The fact that you can anchor it makes it almost impossible to steal. It is an ideal choice for people who are hesitant to splurge over $500 on a car gun safe. First time gun owners looking for an excellent but portable car gun safe can also opt for it.
5) Hornady Lockbox for Guns and Valuables
This lockbox is built from 16-gauge steel with tamper proof protection. It is also pry-resistant with a barrel key lock system and security band. The safe is fitted to a steel security cable rated for 1500 pounds. This ensures that the box is attachable to any other object and also contributes to the security.
Its interior is covered with foam that protects valuables set inside. The safe also offers enough storage space to accommodate both your handgun and other valuables like cash, jewelry, and documents. It also comes at an affordable price. The cable is thicker than most on the market and the exterior has a nice coating that prevents rust. This cable can offer some protection in case intruders try to take it. The cable holds the top and bottom in place and this makes it easier to move from both sides. The foam at the top and bottom of the safe is dense and can help keep items in place.
- Spacious interior to contain several items
- Comes with tubular key
- Has a pry-resistant security band
- Comes with a 3-foot security cable made with steel
- Offers a protective foam interior to keep valuables unscathed
- Excellent and durable tamper-proof construction
- Locks can be better
When it comes to affordability, the Hornady Lockbox for Guns and Valuables is a good buy. It offers portability which is what many users of gun safes look out for. The body is built with solid 16-gauge steel to make it tamper proof. So for the price, this gun safe may be a great option.
6) Bulldog Cases Car Safe with Key Lock, Mounting Bracket and Cable in Black
This Bulldog car vault is excellent for storing handguns on the go. It has a mounting bracket to install the safe in your truck, car, boat, or even home. After locking the safe, it cannot be taken away from the mounting bracket.
The safe also comes with a security cable that secures the vault if it is not locked with the mounting bracket. The body is made with heavy duty steel construction and this protects the safe. It also sports a plush and soft interior which is both scratch resistant and durable. This means you will not have to worry about scratches on your gun or other valuables while they are placed in the box.
The outer body has a black matte finish that helps it blend into car design properly. It has a key and lock system with a deluxe key style lock. There is an option to buy extra bolts to secure it in the right spot.
- Can be used in vehicles like trucks, cars, and boats and also fits properly in the office.
- Inexpensive design with a solid metal body
- Easy to install and comes with mounting tools
- Clean finishing to blend in with car design
- The locking mechanism needs some work
- The Bulldog Cases Car Safe with Key Lock is an inexpensive car gun safe. it does not have fancy features but makes up for it with useful features such as mounting tools, rugged exterior, and foam padded interior to keep your items safe. installation is also a breeze with this safe.
7) Lock’er Down Console, LD2058, Keep Personal Items Secure and Organized in Car, Vehicle Safe
The Lock’er Down Console LD2058 provides safe and secure storage for firearms and other delicate belongings. It was built from a 12-gauge cold-rolled heavy-duty steel plate. It also has a reinforced 10-gauge plate door as well as for the cover gaps. The drill resistant locks and 3-point locking systems help prevent unauthorized access to your gun safe.
The exterior body is rugged with a powder-coated finish in black. And it has a 4-digit combination lock that doesn’t require keys. It is pre-drilled with a factory console bolt hole so you don’t need to break your back to mount it if need be. The installation process is short and simple since you don’t need to drill any holes for the belt. You also do not need special skills to do it, a simple knowledge of hand tools and some mechanical skills can do the job. The limited lifetime warranty also makes it stand out among the others. The warranty covers the console safe against some defects in craftsmanship and materials. Be sure to read the manufacturer’s policy on the warranty to get the full picture.
It is built to fit Jeep Wrangler models from 2018 to 2020. The console safe can be used as a cup holder as well. It has notch seams and welded tabs to offer more durability. It also sports a counter balanced door that uses spring assisted hinges for quick access and convenient operation.
- Quick installation with tools provided
- 3-point locking system for extra security
- Limited lifetime warranty
- Keyless 4-combination lock makes it more secure
- Quite heavy for the small size
The Lock’er Down Console LD2058 is an American made car gun safe with premium features. The best of the features is the lifetime limited warranty. When it comes to pricing, this safe is on the high side, but for its premium features, it is a moderate price.
8) NUZAMAS Portable Car Safe Storage Box Safe Lockbox
This gun has a myriad of features such as a key lock with 2 keys and a steel tethering cable. It can be used in trucks, cars, vans, boats, and home or office. The safe is compact and measures 8.26” x 5.9” x 2.75”) and it is large enough to contain a lot of items such as guns, documents, pistols, passports, cash, jewelry, and other valuables.
It also has an aluminum alloy cover and full solid steel drawer that make it more reliable and durable. It can be used to store other valuables, but its lack of foam padding doesn’t help prevent scratches. If you choose to get this safe, you need to read the instructions for operation. Understanding how it works before use will make it easier to install and use.
- Large sized car gun safe which can contain more than one gun along with other valuables
- It is versatile as it can be used in different kinds of vehicles as well as homes
- Combination lock, as well as key, gives you more options of access
- Affordable safe
- Lacks inner padding
- This 2 in 1 combination car gun safe is one of the most affordable ones on the list. It lacks a lot of fancy features but makes up for this with its security system. When it comes to space, this car safe stands out despite being portable.
9) Lock’er Down Console, LD2078L
This console offers several ways to protect your gun and other valuables. It has drill-resistant locks as well as a 3-point locking system to make it more difficult for intruders to cart away your safe. It has a keyless four-digit combination lock that makes it easier and safe to open your console.
The body of the safe is made from high quality steel. The heavy duty 12 gauge cold rolled plate steel helps prevent brute force from damaging the safe. Also, the construction is reinforced with notch seams and welded tab to ensure that it is impregnable. The exterior part of the safe is coated with a matte black finish. This coat mainly prevents corrosion and its elements from defacing the safe.
The installation process is easy. It can be mounted directly into the factory console bolt holes of a truck. It doesn’t require any expertise to fix, a few basic hand tools can help you set it up in no time.
As with all Lock’er Down products, customers enjoy a lifetime warranty. To know what is covered by this warranty, visit the official website of the manufacturer. This safe does not fit all car models. Some of the car models it fits include Longhorn and 2019-2020 RAM 1500 Limited. It does not include the 2019+ RAM 1500 Classics.
- Quick and easy installation process
- Sleek finishing despite being rugged
- Corrosion resistant design
- Lifetime warranty
- Made with solid 12-gauge steel
- The model does not fit into some cars
- The LD2078L model is portable but still spacious enough to fit valuables and a firearm. It has a solid build and the manufacturer offers a limited lifetime warranty. If you’re a new gun owner, this may be a good place to start. When it comes to affordability, this console is moderately expensive.
10) AmazonBasics Quick-Access Firearm Safety Device
The AmazonBasics quick access safe is a basic biometric car gun safe. it comes in two different sizes to accommodate one pistol or two pistols. The safe uses a 500 DPI biometric scanner to offer reliable fingerprint scanning. A scanner makes the process of opening the safe quicker than most regular safes.
Up to 50 fingerprints can be added to the scanner and it runs on batteries. The lifespan of the battery is long but in case there is an emergency, you can choose to use the backup key. It has rubber buttons as well and they are quiet especially where silence is required so as not to alert the intruder. The safe also has a gas spring door that opens and shuts seamlessly.
The safe is secure and approved for use in most states. Even residents of California can get it because it meets the California DOJ standards. You have the option to mount it in your car, shelf, or table. It isn’t classified as a high end safe but it provides protection from its dual-layer steel body
- Offers great value for money
- Gas spring door makes it open instantaneously
- A highly effective biometric scanner
- Lightweight but sturdy design
- One-year warranty
- No interior light for use in dark places
- It isn’t fireproof
This AmazonBasics Deluxe Quick-Access Dual Firearm Safety Device works more as a general secure storage box. It isn’t for specific fun models, but it can contain two handguns and other items. Buying it may give you excellent value for your money.
11) SAFEGO Portable Indoor/Outdoor Lock Box Safe with Key and Combination Access
SAFEGO Portable Lock Box Safe is both lightweight and portable. It also has a strong build to keep valuables safe. It may not be very spacious but it contains cash, a wallet, a pistol, keys, and sunglasses. Another notable feature it offers is simplicity as it works with a key or 3-digit combination. The combination is customizable and can be changed at will.
Built with high impact ABS plastic, this portable lockbox is salt, water, and sand resistant. Even if it is exposed to water, it still holds valuables. It can also withstand harsh weather conditions. It has an adjustable plug opening that allows the user to listen to music when the device is stored in the box. This device also has a 17-inch heavy duty, adjustable cable to secure the box. This cable can also be used as a tote handle. The colors available include pink, white, gold, blue, black, and green so you can choose one that matches your personality.
The safe is nickel plated with a zinc alloy lock. The high impact ABS plastic also helps it stand the test of time. Many people want a lightweight gun safe and SAFEGO offers that.
- Lightweight and portable. The safe blends in with daily fashion
- Water resistant and withstands harsh weather conditions
- Comes in a variety of colors
- Affordable safe and easy operation
- Doesn’t contain many valuables at a time
The SAFEGO Portable Indoor/Outdoor Lock Box Safe with Key and Combination Access is a portable and lightweight device. It is solidly built and is quite versatile. It can be used in the car, home, and carried along by hand.
12) HORUSDY Lockbox for Guns and Valuables
This portable safe is compact and made with high quality steel. Inside this safe is a foam padding that keeps your valuables free from scratches. It does not have mounting features but it can be taken anywhere and stored wherever.
It has a 4-foot steel security table that can withstand 1,500 pounds of force. Also, the cable receiver makes it easier to store more things in the box. It sports a zinc alloy combination lock that enhances the safety of items stored in the box. It can contain items like jewelry, cash, documents, and even guns. Other small items like keys can fit too.
Since the box is approved by the Transportation Security Administration, it can be allowed on board a plane. However, it must be unloaded and must be checked in.
- Portable car gun safe can be carried on board a plane
- Affordable design with lots of features
- Setup is easy and seamless
- Made from top notch materials
- The lock could be better
HORUSDY Lockbox for Guns and Valuables is another portable gun safe that can withstand a lot of force without giving out. Its portability makes it versatile. It can also be used to store an unloaded gun onboard a plane.
How to install a car gun safe in your car
To install a car gun safe, you can choose two methods: bolt it to the floor of the car or tie it down with a cable. To tie the device with a cable, you need to latch it to the bottom or side of the vehicle seat. You can tie it to any seat you are comfortable with.
To install the safe by bolting, the best and safest way is to screw it in the car’s console. For this process, you need to get a screwdriver, and some screws as well as lots of patience.
- Unzip the chosen spot for the installation of the safe. it doesn’t matter where you decide to put the safe, whether the back of the front seat or behind the rear seats. Ensure that there is a way to extract the cover to get a view of the metal construction.
- Place the safe and make visible marks around the edges
- Use the anchorage sleeve to mark the safe’s pre-drilled holes to know where to drill.
- Next, drill the holes to install the metal sleeve of the safe. as you drill, reduce the pressure so you don’t drill holes into your roof or seats.
- The next step is to insert the screws starting from the back of the plate where you drilled. It is quite difficult but you need to do it so they face the safe or the sleeve of the safe.
- Place the cover over the added screws and cut it with a sharp blade. After cutting, the screws should be properly revealed.
- Set the plate on the screws and secure it with nuts and lock washers. Check it properly to see if the bolts stick out excessively. If it does, get your saw ready and remove the excess bolt to give it a natural look. Some car gun safe models do not need this long process because the holes are already pre-drilled.
- Place the safe on a sleeve or plate and it should be fastened to the car and this would give you easy access to your car.
To complete this task, you will need a few items such as a utility knife, a pencil, a measuring tape or ruler, anchor kits with bolts, level, socket wrench, and a drill.
Securing your safe with a security cable is a different process. Here is what to do:
- Wrap the cable around the bottom of the front seat or a fixed object.
- Place the big loop of the cable through the small hoop
- Set the big loop to allow it to wrap around the post for latching and drop the hooks at the front.
- Insert the cable in the slot and secure it with the nut provided by the safe’s manufacturer.
Things to consider before choosing a Car gun safe
Picking the best car gun safe for your needs may be a difficult task. The reason is that the market is saturated with so many similar models. The choices are so many because it is hard to determine the good ones and the not so good ones. You can make a better informed decision when you know what to look out for. We have done some research and found the information you need to make a choice. The features of a safe are important so you need to look out for some notable features as outlined below.
1) Size – a car gun safe needs to be portable. Portability in this case means something small enough to be carried comfortably but also large enough to contain a handgun with other items. Be sure to check the measurement of the safe before choosing your preferred model. Also, you need to check the height of the safe as well as its width and length since many people who get car gun safes install them under the front seats.
The size of your gun also matters. Small gun safes are easier to conceal in vehicles. They are also easier to secure. However, it may be more difficult to place a full sized handgun in a tiny safe. In the same vein, the large safe may be difficult to hide in the car, but it is spacious enough for a full sized pistol and other ammunition. At the end of the day, choosing the size of your safe may be a matter of preference.
2) Construction – another invaluable feature to look out for is the construction of the safe. no one wants a safe that gives in when it is burgled. A reliable gun safe must have excellent construction. Despite the fact that most manufacturers of car gun safes use steel in the production of the outer shell, you need to ensure that all other components in the build are made with high quality materials. A safe is only as great as its weakest link. That weak link could mean that it is not safe at all.
Another aspect to consider is the thickness of the steel used. Before picking a model, check the thickness because if the Ga value of the steel is lower, then it is going to be thicker.
3) Locking mechanism – one of the most important parts of a safe is the locking mechanism. It should be another important factor to consider before choosing a car gun safe. burglars may attempt to break the lock rather than punching a hole in the shell of the safe to gain access. This makes the lock the most vulnerable part of a safe. There are different types of locks to look out for and they include:
- Biometric lock: many popular car gun safes have such biometric locks. This model seems technologically advanced but not all work well. Some may be quite troublesome especially if they lack other means of entry. One advantage of this type of safe is that it gives users the option of speed. With biometric locks, you don’t need to spend minutes unlocking the safe. You don’t need to add combinations or codes or struggle with keys to get it opened especially when you are in a hurry. Simply place your finger on the biometric scanner and your safe door will open. The disadvantage of this kind of safe is that the locking mechanism may not always be reliable.
Even though some biometric scanners have a large capacity of up to 20 fingerprints and more, they may not be the best option. You may experience a failure of the device to recognize your fingerprint. They also have a downside when it comes to battery operation. The scanners mostly run on batteries and even though the batteries are rechargeable, so you may need to take them out from the car to charge them to full capacity again.
- Electronic lock – electronic locks have been around for some time now. They are becoming more and more efficient and more safes are turning to this type of lock. A major advantage of this type of lock is its user-friendliness. It does not require keys nor does it rotate tumblers to open the lock. All you need to do is memorize the access code and punch it in when it is time to access the safe. These models are run on batteries while others are operated with both rechargeable batteries and AC adapter to connect to electricity. These options help ensure that the safe stays connected always for easy access. However, it has a downside. Using a safe that has an electronic lock faces the risk of having low batteries. In such cases, you can be locked out of your safe.
- Keyed locks – safe boxes with keyed locks basically need keys to open. Most of them make use of traditional keys while some others use keys that are round shaped. However, both types have similar pros and cons. Keyed locks are easy to use and also a safe option. If your key is always nearby, you won’t have issues with this lock. While the locks may be easy to use, it does not mean the process is quick. In emergencies, keyed locks are not ideal because it may be difficult to focus and open it. When it comes to reliability, keyed locks come first and this is because they do not require batteries or electricity to work. Also, they do not get jammed.
- Padlocks – a few car gun safes use padlocks to keep items secure. Generally, padlocks are difficult to break and quite safe. however, you will need enough space to mount the box so you can open it with ease. The disadvantage of this type of lock is that you may have to rotate the tumblers to get the perfect combination. This makes the process slower than necessary.
- Mechanical combination lock – this type of lock uses mechanical combinations to secure the gun inside the car. Mechanical combination locks are reliable and sturdy and it is difficult to access. Also, trying to guess the combination of the lock is almost impossible and 3-digit locks of the kind have more than 1,000 possible codes. It can take an intruder more than a couple of hours to guess the combinations and most times, it will be futile. The disadvantage of the mechanical combination lock is that you may need to rotate the tumblers to pick the right combination. In the case of an emergency, there may not be enough time to find the right combination.
4) Anchorage – normally, car gun safes are not heavy or large. This could be a disadvantage because a burglar can simply pick it up and take it away. This is why an anchor is necessary to attach it to your car console or in the trunk of the car. Some models come with holes drilled to allow you to attach it to the vehicle with bolts and security cables. The latter option allows you to attach it to your car seats. An anchor sleeve comes in handy in this case to help you to anchor the safe in the car. Some models come with it, while others do not. So, look out for it while making your choice.
Benefits of using a car gun safe
There are so many benefits of using a car gun safe. Some of them include:
1) Ideal for air travel – airplanes do not allow passengers to carry a gun on the aircraft no matter the location. However, in some cases, you can be allowed to pack the firearms and check it in with your luggage if they are kept in a secure case that is difficult to open. You can store any other valuable item as well. Also, the security cable of the safe can be used to attach it to luggage to ensure that it doesn’t get missing during security checks.
2) Follow the provisions of the law – each state has different laws for concealed carry. Most of the states do not allow firearm owners to take them into some places like schools, churches, and federal buildings. To enter any of such buildings, you may need to store your gun in a gun safe. It is a crime to enter without concealing the gun. Your gun safe helps to get rid of the problem.
3) Protect your gun – guns are not toys, so you need to be responsible with them. A gun safe helps you keep your firearm away from kids and burglars. Safes may not be 100 percent secure, but they can give the burglar a hard time. It also discourages theft because it could take a while to breach. Kids are always curious and could stumble upon a gun. It is wise to keep the gun tucked away where only an authorized user can access it.